A little about me

Sunday 30 January 2011

Crazy Insomnia

I couldn’t sleep the other night, so I did the craziest of things and jumped in the car and drove to the 24 hour Starbucks in the city.  Singapore streets are always packed full, tons of traffic and people everywhere like little ants.  Well it looked very different at 2am.  

I parked the car in a very lonely car park which in day time is a nightmare, checked all around before I got out, locked it with the zapper and headed off at full speed a few hundred yards toward the green mermaid sign.  I wouldn’t do this anywhere else, honest.  There were some cars on the road; there were people here and there, enough to make me a little nervous.  Singapore is extremely safe, very little crime.  But as the government ad says “Low crime isn’t no crime”.

The amazing thing is that Starbucks was full!  Yes, I know!
I had to queue for my decaf before taking my place with all the other insomniacs.

I had gone prepared; I had taken my books to study.  So I fitted in quite nicely with all the youngsters who were in their studies and on their laptops.  Two weeks ago a group of friends started a brand new Bible study which meets biweekly, but with it comes homework.  The homework bit was my idea “to keep us focused” (that must have been a moment of utter insanity – who ‘asks’ for homework, for goodness sake?) So really I can’t turn up having not done it, can I?  It’s meant to be around 20 minutes a day, of course I was days behind so I was in Starbucks a fair while.

It’s the new inductive study series on Isaiah.  Quite different to anything else I’ve done.  Certain key words are marked with symbols and coloured markers. Purple triangles, orange clocks, red dots…. It’s very interesting but I’m sure to those who were in Starbucks at 2 in the morning, there was a middle aged woman doing some ‘colouring in’ with coloured pens – ha!

I did it, I finished and I learned a lot. Worth it. Most of our previous studies have been from the New Testament and this kind of focus, I found interesting. (It’s here, if you’re interested).

I have no idea what time I got home.  I was pretty exhausted and managed to sleep at long last.  I’ll let you know Wednesday if I’m top of the class J

Until the next time

Beth x 

4 comments:

  1. Oh, what I wouldn't give for a 24 hour Starbucks close by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O leia' llwyddest ti i neud dy waith cartref.
    Dwli ar y newidiadu ti wedi neud i'r blog, mae'n edrych yn fab. Sut wyt ti'n newid y font ar ddechrau'r post?
    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fi eto. Diolch am y comment Bethan. Ar ol i fi adael neges i ti, es i nol i weld y 'template design' a ma na fwy o fonts nawr na'r tro dwetha edryches i. Nesa, ma isie i fi ddewis rhywbeth gwell i rhoi tu ol i teitl y blog...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Beth! I landed on your blog randomly and almost immediately I got sucked in :) this blog especially caught my eye, going to Starbucks in the middle of the night can be a sketchy thing for a woman to pull off but hey, that makes two of us! And you know what's even cooler? I go to bible studies in the middle of the night sometimes too! In fact, I have met some pretty awesome people at coffee shops who were doing bible studies, simply by noticing that they had a bible on their table. God is good :)
    Thank you for sharing this story! I am new but if you are curious, my blog is:

    http://www.ameaningofoptimist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete